Friday, March 9, 2012

Forgiven Offenders

I heard a quote from recently that is relevant to the subject of grace.

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders." -Ted Nugent

I have to say that rings true to my sense of justice.  However, God has something entirely different to say.

"Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."  -Jesus Christ (Luke 23:34)

Not long after he said that, the repentant thief that was dying beside him experienced the power of that forgiveness.

"Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43)

-A.N. Scharf

BEHOLD the Lamb, whose precious blood
Drawn from His riven side,
Had power to make our peace with God,
Nor lets one spot abide.

The dying thief beheld that Lamb
Expiring by his side,
And proved the value of the Name
Of Jesus crucified.

His soul, by virtue of the blood,
To paradise received,
Redemption's earliest trophy stood,
From sin and death retrieved.

We, too, the cleansing power have known
Of Christ's atoning blood,
By grace have learnt His name to own,
By which we're brought to God.

To Him, then, let our songs ascend,
Who stooped in grace so low:
To Christ, the Lamb, the sinner's Friend,
Let ceaseless praises flow.

     -G. Rossini



No comments: